Who We Are
“The Vermont Symphony Orchestra has been a key player in this state’s arts community for nearly 80 years, bringing music not only to performance halls, but school gymnasiums, armories and even hillsides – anywhere Vermonters would gather to enjoy and share all forms of music. I appreciate the VSO’s commitment to our local communities, our schools and our vibrant arts scene. This is truly our Vermont Symphony Orchestra!” — Governor Peter Shumlin, 2013.
With around 40 annual performances statewide in concert halls, beautiful natural settings, and historic and community buildings, the Vermont Symphony Orchestra has proven its value and sustainability, not only as the nation’s oldest state-assisted orchestra, but as one of the finest of its size. In addition to concert programming, SymphonyKids presentations annually reach thousands of school children statewide. The VSO serves year round with in-school educational programming, children’s concerts, and composer residencies, as well as choral and chamber music concerts.
VSO Mission Statement
- MUSIC: We enrich lives through performances and educational programs of the highest caliber.
- STATEWIDE COMMUNITY: Through music, we commit to strengthening the social fabric of Vermont by meeting the needs of our communities, transcending geographic and demographic boundaries.
- INCLUSIVITY: We believe in actively taking part in the work toward equity, diversity, and access, in order to rebalance historic inequities.
- CREATIVITY: We value innovative and original ideas and their application to performing and teaching music and solving problems.
- STEWARDSHIP: We recognize the importance of managing and maximizing our resources honestly, prudently, and transparently.
VSO Vision Statement
To be the cultural and social leader in Vermont through music.