We are proud to announce our seven-concert 2017 TD Bank Summer Festival Tour running July 2-9. While covering every corner of the state, the program will highlight America’s musical melting pot, featuring music written by immigrant composers across the globe, around the theme of this year’s tour: E Pluribus Unum. “Our TD Bank Summer Festival Tour recognizes the breadth of cultures and heritages that formed the foundation of our union,” said VSO Executive Director Benjamin Cadwallader. “Music and art have always brought us closer to one another, defining us by our shared human existence. In that spirit, as well as the diversity that continues to unite and inspire our communities, we celebrate unequivocally that together we are one.”
To honor the great American melting pot, guest conductor Christopher James Lees chose traditional Fourth of July standards and composers from five different countries, including the unique piece, Speak, by Syrian-born composer Kinan Abou-afach, now living in Philadelphia. “We are honored that award-winning Conductor Christopher James Lees can take an extended stop on his world travels to spend this much time in Vermont,” said Cadwallader. “We are particularly touched by his musical choices that remind us that strength, beauty, and creativity endures; even in the face of division.”
This year’s summer tour will also feature world-renowned bandoneon player Hector Del Curto, who appears with the VSO through a new partnership between the VSO and the Stowe Tango Music Society. Hector make his VSO summer debut performing works for bandoneon and orchestra by Argentinian composer Astor Piazzolla.
Tickets for all venues are available on our event page. All concerts begin at 7:30 pm and will close with fireworks for a picnic-perfect evening for all ages.
VSO TD Bank Summer Festival Tour Dates
- July 2: Riley Rink, Manchester
- July 3: Grafton Ponds, Grafton
- July 4: Shelburne Museum, Shelburne
- July 6: Mountain Top Inn, Chittenden
- July 7: Okemo Resort, Ludlow
- July 8: Three Stallion Inn, Randolph
- July 9: Trapp Family Lodge Concert Meadow, Stowe
We have a lively and diverse line-up for the every evening.
- Dudley Buck: Festival Overture on the Star Spangled Banner*
- Morton Gould: American Salute
- Duke Ellington: Fantasy
- Astor Piazzolla: Concerto for Bandoneon & Orchestra, “Aconcagua”
- Astor Piazzolla: Libertango
- Leroy Anderson: Blue Tango
- Leroy Anderson: Bugler’s Holiday
- Leroy Anderson: Fiddle-Faddle
- ~~ intermission ~~
- John Williams: Liberty Fanfare
- Erich Korngold: Suite from The Sea Hawk
- Kinan Abou-afach: Speak
- Irving Berlin: Tribute
- Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture
- Alford: Colonel Bogey March
- Sousa: Stars & Stripes Forever
*The Dudley Buck piece was made available to the VSO by the generosity of the Star Spangled Banner Music Foundation.
Join us for the 2017 TD Bank Summer Festival Tour!
Details and tickets for each location are available on the links above or on our events page.